1-day trip to the historic centre of Greek culture
This 1 day trip to Athens is a fantastic opportunity to visit the historic centre of Greek culture! Our journey starts early in the morning from your resort with one of our 50 seated luxury coaches with its destination the port of Zakynthos town. Here you will board at the 5.30 departure ferryboat to sail to the mainland and in just under an hour and 15 min we will arrive on the at the port of Killini. The journey time on the bus to the centre of the capital is around 3 1/2 hours and for this reason we make sure that the journey is as interesting and less tiring as possible. There will be a stop along the way for refreshments and your guide will give you some information along the way.
On arrival in the centre of Athens our official guide will join the bus and point out the highlights of the city, like the temple of Zeus, while we make our way to the Acropolis. The Acropolis is a cultural UNESCO World Heritage Property. The Acropolis of Athens and the monuments placed there are universal symbols of the classical spirit and civilization and create the greatest architectural and artistic complex bequeathed by the ancient Greeks to the world. Athens’s citadel was a place where great artists created masterpieces under the guidance of the sculptor Pheidias, who transformed the rocky hill into a unique monument of thought and the arts. The Parthenon, built by Ictinus; the Erechtheon; the Propylaea or the monumental entrance to the Acropolis, designed by Mnesicles; and the small temple to Athena Nike are just a few of the breathtaking sights we will explore.
After the Acropolis we will make our way to the museum. The Acropolis Museum is among the 6 best museums in the world for 2010, The Acropolis Museum in Athens ranked No 6 Travelers Choice Awards for 2019, coming one spot above the Louvre in Paris and one below Madrid's Prado. Based on the preferences of millions of travelers and described “as stunning as the treasures it houses”. After our 3 hour tour in the Acropolis and its museum, we will stroll down under the shadow of the Acropolis into the charming areas of either Monastiraki and Plaka what stretches almost to Syntagma where we have the meeting point with the bus to meet at 4.10 pm. A welcome traffic free zone with its realm of cobbled streets lined with tourist shops and various charming eating establishments. We will have around 2 hours to grab a bite, listen to some street musicians and get enchanted by the wonderful atmosphere or maybe you prefer to make it in time to see the change of the guards at the Parliament building.
On our way back to Zante we will stop of at Canal of Corinth, that is considered one of the great engineering accomplishments of Greece. The construction of the canal not only changed the shipping world, but it also changed the geography of Greece as it technically turned the Peloponnese into an island, although it is widely still referred to as a peninsula. It is believed that Periander, the tyrant of Corinth (602 BC), was the first to conceive of the idea of digging the Corinth Canal. As the project was too complicated given the limited technical capabilities of the times, Periander constructed the diolkós, a stone road which allowed ships to be transferred on wheeled platforms. After this engineering masterpiece, we will now continue our road back to Zante to get ready for the 9 pm ferry boat.
After many years of request from our dear Nefis Travel friends we decided that with being able to have less traveling time due to the new national road, we could create a day tour into Athens but... please be aware:
• Make sure you have your ID with you on the day of the tour.
• Due to the fact that the ferryboat leaves at 5.30 am your pick up time will be around 4.45 am.
• We will travel by luxury coach in order to make sure that the journey will be relaxed and comfortable.
• The time in Athens will be 5.15 min and as you can understand, our time is limited, this is why we have to work with time tables and cannot wait around. We want everybody that joins this tour to respect this and go with the page given by your Nefis Travel Guide and our official guide in the archeological sites.
• The time arriving back on the island will be around 10.30 - 11 pm meaning it will be a long day, a bit pushed here to make sure we can plan everything into the time table.
• This tour will have steps infolded and walking around, make sure you wear good footgear.
• And most important it’s your own responsibility to be at the meeting point at the given time of the day of your Nefis Travel guide, as some days we might have to leave a bit earlier. We cannot wait as we have a ferry boat departure that we have to keep in mind.
• Nefis Travel want to make sure that you understand that we are coping with a long road to get there and a traffic situation in the Capital of Athens. If in case we have unforeseen traffic problem the time table might have to be cut shorter here and there.
• If you respect all the above then we are very happy to create this unique opportunity for you.
The excursion day:
Thursday on request, we can only go if the demand is high enough.
The excursion prices:
Adult: 125 euro PP
Child: 100 euro PP (up to 12 years old)
Inc.: ferryboat tickets. - Not Inc.: Entrance fee for the Acropolis and the museum.
REVIEWS AND THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS TOUR
Value for money0